Re: Hosta Auctions & photos

Lu Treadway wrote:
RE:>>Andrew, Dave, Ken, you wanna field this one? LOL!!!!!!

Hi Lu,
Who are Dave and Ken?  I thought I had a virtual monopoly on the eBay
customer base!   Tee Hee Hee...Yuck, Yuck, Yuck...

I WILL say this.  There will be millions and millions of Hostas sold
this year and through a whole host of different methods.  For $3.95, you
can buy a common Hosta from 100's or 1000's of vendors.  When you buy it
at eBay, that seller will do a WHOLE lot more work to close that sale
than will the local Home Depot.  Like Chick said, it appears to be a
wholesale market and there isn't all that much money in it (for the
tremendous amount of work involved).   I'm still debating the merits of
a retail operation (beyond the Farmer's markets) because the work load
is so much less.  There are only so many hours in a day.

I spent a $1,000 bucks on a digital camera so that I could stop asking
people for permission to use their pictures.  I hope whoever this is
gets lambasted quickly and has to go buy their own darn camera.  It's
the only way to keep the playing field level...

BTW, though, I think people that send pictures that they DON'T want to
place in the public domain (via Hostapix) are just inviting trouble.
Once you've sent it, I just don't know how you could protect a
copyright, unless of course you note possession right on the photo.

Andrew Lietzow
http://dev.hostahaven.com/discus - A place where political rants are
allowed but jokes about my ethic heritage will probably be deleted. 8->)