Re: My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson

 Bill

You're being goofy again.  Finally!  I was really getting bored.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hosta.com site.  I won't speak
to creativity, but your statement that they are trying to pretend to be
the AHS is, as are most of your pronouncements, nonsense.  The AHS
doesn't have a lock on the word "hosta", and there is absolutely nothing
on the site that I saw that implies that it is anything other than a site
selling hostas (.com does generally denote a commercial site, ya know).
They've had this domain for a long time, and for all I know, they may
have had it before hosta.org was started. I know that they were on the
web before we were because I would have bought the domain if they didn't
already have it.  If they were calling themselves ahs.com or
ameicanhostasociety.com that would be pretty sleazy, but to think that a
hosta nursery should not use the domain www.hosta.com is one of those
ideas that I have begun to think of as BillMeyerisms.

As to the other question, about fragrance, I guess it depends on whether
you're talking about fragrance as a practical matter or as another
BillMeyerism.  As a practical matter, it seems to me that if thousands
and thousands of people have grown Halcyon, and nobody but Bill ever
noticed that it was fragrant, then by definition, it is not fragrant.

Simple as that.

Chick

Bill Meyer wrote:

  Hi Lu,
         I think when Jim Schwarz stopped paying for   www.hostalibrary.com   it
  went back up for grabs. It was then bought by someone in Europe, according
  to Bob. He was concerned something like this would happen, but didn't find
  out until it was too late. My guess is that whoever is doing that won't make
  any money and will give it up soon.
         If you think that's bad, have a look at the AHS site   www.hosta.org
  and this one   www.hostas.com   What do you think - lack of creativity, or
  someone trying to pretend they are the AHS to improve their sales? The
  graphics are free-use stuff included with Microsoft Frontpage so there's no
  theft involved, but is it really just a co-incidence?
         As to what kind of person does
  this stuff -- well I think
  "opportunist" pretty much covers it. I think the younger generation likes
  the word "user". They're the people who only care about what they can get
  for themselves out of people and things around them. I doubt they'd even
  know why you're mad.
                                                                  ......Bill
  Meyer

    OK, so I'm doing my usual database updating and come across a hosta whose
    description is a little unclear. And again, as usual, I go to the greatest
    place on the internet, the Hosta Library to look at the picture, only my
    mistake, I type in .com instead of .org.

    I could not believe my eyes. Some joker has set up a 'referral' website

  called

    Hosta Library. It lists links to other websites on various topics. They
    obviously know that OUR Hosta Library gets lots of hits, and are counting

  on

    people making the same mistake that I did. They are selling their website

    companies in hopes that we will follow the links to their clients sites.
    Places like Pier One have subscribed.

    I gotta tell you, it's made me angry. Makes me wonder if the real target

  is

    hosta nurseries, and all this is just a cover. What kind of person does

  this?

    Other than the obvious answer which is an opportunist. I just hope

  everybody

    realizes that by using the links at this site, whomever owns it get paid a
    commission. Makes me ill. What does this have to do with Hostas? Not a

  DAMN

    thing. This is in my book, as bad as those dinner time solicitation phone
    calls.

    I know at one time there was a nursery that bought the name, and had it

  linked

    back to the REAL Hosta library. Makes me wonder what happened there? We

  should

    have picked up that as part of the library, I would have gladly donated

  for

    it's annual maintenance fee!

    Are there no ethics on the internet? I found this as offensive as some of

  the

    spam we get here. Turns my stomach!

    Getting off my soap box and kicking it in the corner!

    Lu & Dan