Re: Heresy do not read on.

In a message dated 2/9/99 11:11:52 PM Central Standard Time, wilddog@venus.net
writes:

<< Patsy Stygal according to Clyde's post uses a lot of promix and has a
 beautiful garden. I would ask her if she does a lot of watering and is on a
 fairly heavy fertilizer program. >>

Hi Butch,

What seems to work well for me may not work for others in different gardening
circumstances.  Remember, I'm the one who became a follower of George Schenk,
and took to heart his strong recommendation to amend the soil properly at the
beginning, and years later the rewards of hard work and preparation, would
still be paying off.  I believe my garden is a testament to his wisdom, as I
relish working in my garden beds each spring.  Never do I need a shovel unless
I'm planting a bush or tree.  I have areas I'm able to avoid stepping on, no
compaction whatsoever, and in these places I can scoop out a hole for a
perennial with my hand.  Pure joy!  Just the way George said it would be.

I fertilize my shade garden plants at a minimum.  Young plants get a spring
shot of liquid feed followed up by Osmocote once the temperature has reached
70 degrees.
Mature hostas receive only manure in early winter.  I garden under large Maple
trees, so I do water according to the needs of my plants.  My watering system
is timed for every other day, beginning in June.  Sometimes I will water for
several days in a row in a dry spell.  I do not have to follow this procedure
in my sun areas.  Without the Maples, my soil retains moisture and I only need
to water these areas every 5 or 6 days.  Of course, I mulch well to retain the
moisture and retard weeds.

God bless George Schenk and his formula for the "perfect gardening soil"!

Patsy Stygall