Re: hosta Gabriel

  • Subject: Re: hosta Gabriel
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 17:39:07 -0400

>Glen, I have somewhat the same feeling, but I don't
>have any suggestions. BIG AND I don't want to start
>any mud slinging, so what do you want to see changed.
>Maybe an open discussion about policies and activities
>would move the organization in a positive direction.
>I'll say again that I will not engage in any mud
>slinging and mud can be found in any organization but
>slinging will not cause a positive change.

Actually Butch I have found the perfect vehicle for change and it is
inevitable too.. The AHS has done remarkable things over the years and I
don't think there is any need to criticize them or their efforts. Good
people doing good work. BUT ALL INSTITUTIONS get tired and tend to
replicate themselves. Therefore the burst of energy from certain hosta
societies helps to light a fire and find new directions for all of us. My
own favorite outrageous movement is First Look. They are changing how we
look at hostas. How we evaluate hostas  and even provide the impetus for
mom and pop hybridizers to try their hand. Whether or not we acknowledge
it, there is a massive war about new hosta introductions whether they be
one of a million sports waiting in the wings or a million tcs of 50
different plants, or   hostas being introduced by kitchen table/window sill
hungry hybridizers that are doing the science and the dream and not relying
on sport fishing. Wal*Mart is becoming a serious role model for giant TC
labs. Numbers, numbers, a half a penny here and there...The prices are
continually dropping and people are less able to compete on the Wal*MArt
scale. I have absolute faith in a dozen people I know to change the face of
hostadom whether we like it or not. MAybe we have to get small again and
find new roots. In any event there is energy in the individual garden and
everything is changing. Evolution will always have the last laugh.

Sorry, knew I should have had that glass of wine. glen

"Do all you can with what you have in the time you have in the place you
are."-Nksoi Johnson              "Equatorial pygmies know your opinions."

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839