Re: election - delete if not interested

Hi Beth,
I've never read any of your sources.  And I don't read much else that is at the extremes.  However your answers intrigued me so I went searching on the vast resources of the internet just to see if anyone had a different angle on some of this.  Lo and behold, it didn't take too long.

Here is an article that you may want to read.  It will shed some light on why some of us are not quite ready to jump onto George's hay wagon and celebrate.

Apparently, this site has a different perspective as well.  http://www.georgebush2000.com/#compassion

As I read this article, it helped clarify why that single response in the debates had caught my attention and swayed my vote.  When asked what he would do about the current prices for gasoline, Bush answered (I paraphrase), "I am a pragmatist about such things and I would recommend that we increase the amount of oil flowing out of Alaska".  I have already commented on what I would have preferred to hear him say, i.e. that he would divert more federal funding to research for alternative fuels, or alternative energy sources.  The first URL I offered explains why I may have made a good choice.

The Federal Government can get out of hand, for sure.  But so can big business and the money that they control.  Someone has to stand up for the little guy that simply wants to ensure good clean drinking water and clean air for his grandchildren.  Unfortunately, we cannot depend on the states to clean up their own messes.  It could be adverse to their local economy.  Look at the travesty in Texas referred to in the article.  If the state were capable of doing the job, it would be getting done.  Instead, these 800 out-of-date, though profitable plants, will go on spewing their toxic wastes until when?   How long will that continue?  They must be held accountable.  And I'm not recommending to immediately put them out of business.  However, they have had 25 years and still have not made adequate changes.  How much longer can we trust them to have OUR long term interests in mind, too, not just the short-term profits.

I'm not a radical on either side.  I am, however, in favor of exposing my mind to information from both sides.  The next week should be exciting for democracy and for the Republic, and I thank you for pointing us to your sources, Beth.  I'll try to get through some of this in the days ahead.   It's work, but I'll try...

Happy Thanksgiving, all you Hostaheads...!

Andrew L.