Re: election - delete if not interested

Hi Ran,
Been emptying out seed pods tonight and that has been a lot of fun.   Fortunately, there is no need to get into major production efforts, or I'd have to come up a better method.   It's much too tedious.   Have you heard from Pete lately?   You guys going to the WSM?

Now about this old news on Clinton and those White House shenanigans....

Joe Haber compared the atrocities of Nixon to Clinton, claiming Clinton makes Nixon look like a saint.  This is like comparing murder to sex and saying the crime is equal.  When Nixon lied to the American people, i.e. he told us that we were not bombing Cambodia when in fact were.  Four people ended up being killed on the campus of Kent State because of that lie.    When the DNC office at the Watergate Hotel was broken into, Nixon had full knowledge.  Four (?) people were convicted and served time over that deal.   We discovered later that tapes were being hidden, and we had been lied to for months on end.

Beyond the sex thing with President Clinton, I am curious --what accusations have been made that held water?   I don't know of any myself, yet for someone to think that compared to the Clintons, "Nixon is a Saint"--I need help finding more dirt on the Clinton's.  My study of the facts turned up nothing even remotely comparable.

Secondly, Beth commented on the state of the movie industry.  I suggest turning the tube off, or just don't go to the movies.  There IS a lot of trash on the tube.  Some of the worst is the evening news stories and the horrifying fact is that mankind has been a mess since we were first created.  However, if she believes that you're going to legislate morality, forget it.  I'm not interested in most censorship plans and here is why.  Prohibition didn't work.  And the groups like the Teleban, that have women dress in outfits that cover all but one eye, get way too carried away in their efforts to ensure proper female conduct.  They have them put curtains over the windows, and they can't hold professional positions.... I'd much rather have our freedoms and then allow the parents to be more in control than to have the government block what we can watch.   In another life, I had a brother- and sister-in-law who got up and walked out of "Home Alone", which they had taken their children to see years ago.  I had some friends that got up and walked out of the movie "The Piano" which my wife and I found very compelling.   And that's how I like my censorship to occur.   If you don't like it, then leave, but if the subject material is not gruesome,  I'd rather have the freedom than to have some bureaucrat somewhere telling me what I can or cannot wathc.  Big Brother go away....
I know people will be debating this for decades into the future, if not centuries, but had President Clinton stepped down, he would have nullified an election.  To be sure, I don't agree with his actions, but like I stated before, let's go up on Capital Hill and start grilling every one on their past.   Just because he got caught doesn't make him the only offender.   Hell, one of the greatest Statesmen of all time, and a major contributor to the Constitution and to the beginning of this nation, was committing adultery for years, yet seemed to be functioning fairly well as a leader.   It's not the high road, I know, but to compare the serious lies of Nixon to the antics of our current President, is reducing the sublime to the ridiculous.  (I know you didn't do this Ran but YOU did say something about some folks not thinking.... ).

Since I respect you and your opinions, Ran, especially regarding those Hostas, help me out a little bit.    What was this terrible lie was that Clinton told?   Was it the "I'm not having sex with that woman" statement, or just what was it, because I really don't recall.  However, I remember the day when four people were killed on the Campus of Kent State like it was yesterday.  The National Guard had the exits blocked off at the interstate and a nation soon discovered that we had been duped into believing this story about Cambodia and that President's lie even when it is not in the national interest.

It's an old wound and I shouldn't even open it up, but when you say things like "for those of us who can actually think", it makes me want to refresh your memory about what a serious infraction by a President actually looks like.

BTW, does anyone know what happened in the Linda Tripp wire taping case?  Was she found innocent or guilty?

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516