Re: Cold Winter Nights?

Mike ...I thought I'd make a few suggestions here:
1... next week, we be into October, and if your temperatures begin to go
below freezing in say a month, then you are wasting your time pollinating
now, because the seed will not ripen before freeze-up stops this process
      a) ..if you see something really super, which you want to pollinate &
obtain seeds from, then dig, pot up and bring this item indoors into a
sunny window and continue pollinating indoors?  It takes about 3 months for
seed to ripen, so you will have ripe seed by late January, possibly early
February, if you wait for pods to begin splitting.
      b) ...if you have scapes loaded with seed-pods, and these plants are
in the late-flowering category (August - September bloom), these scapes can
be cut and ripened in a water plus sugar solution; indoors.  When you know
the temperature is going below freezing, start cutting.  If the pods have
been on the scapes for over a month, there is a good chance the seeds will
develope fully outdoors.  Collect the pods late November or even into
December, unless you see pods becoming black & splitting.  If you try to
ripen seed pods in the water + sugar solution, put a drop or two of bleach
in the water, else water will become murky & mouldy and the flower stem
will rot.  Smells yukky also.

The above gives you a few options to choose from ...take your pick.  I
would go with the potting & growing pods to ripen indoors, if you have some
blooming now, and these, you do want to get seeds from?  My bet is, you
will have viable seed by mid January, and by the latest mid-February.  The
plants will have gone totally dormant by then, so you just put them in a
cold room, after you take the seed pods off, and bring them out again early
spring, to start growing again.

hope this helps and good luck

WiN = William Nash\Canada