  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] BELVI QUEEN
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:36:08 -0500

Hello Bonnie,

> I am having field mice damage for the first time ever and boy can they do
> the damage................don't know why one iris will taste better then
> other but they seem to like some all the way to the ground!!!

Field mice are plentiful here, but I've never noted any damage to the iris
from them.  Nor from the squirrels though a number live in the oak trees
here in the yard.  I guess the plus for me is that I don't have those
problems - or the iris borer.  Probably a good thing.  What happens can't be
good for the iris.  It might not take much else to tip the scales completely
against them.

We had 1/2 inch of hard rain yesterday.  That's the first precipitation in
more than seven weeks.  That lack was accompanied by temps reaching as high
as 111F.  It's only reached the upper 90s the last day or two.  It actually
feels sort of cool.  With that rain yesterday, though, the increase in
humidity may offset the lower temperature.  I'd have greatly appreciated
some of that unwelcome rainfall that has been so prevalent in so many areas
of the eastern states from here.