{Disarmed} Re: ADVISE NEEDED ASAP: PLANTING TIME IN THE ARIZONA SONORA DES...

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] ADVISE NEEDED ASAP: PLANTING TIME IN THE ARIZONA SONORA DES...
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:25:36 EDT

<<In a message dated 8/22/2006 9:59:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, kmineo@pacbell.net writes:
1) How deep to plant the ryzomes.
2) How far apart?
3) how much water is needed and...
4) Time to water i.e. morning/evening
5) Any other information needed

Thank you ever so much. I want my first garden to be as glorious as the wonderful photos y'all share.
I can't wait to have mine bloom so that I may send photos to everyone too..
Sincerely, Keith>>
For a permanent bed, you will probably want to plant about 2 feet apart in all directions, unless you use a matrix design.  With 3 or more rows this maximizes space.

Much of what you need to know is dependent on where you live and what type of soil you have, so I hope someone near you (geographically) answers.

For instance, I have well drained clay soil so I plant with the tops of the rhizomes showing.  My mother-in-law planted with the rhizome about 2 inches deep because her soil was sand. The plants could not anchor themselves if planted more shallow.

The very best of luck.  You've worked hard to get to this point.  I believe you have the iris virus!  You will enjoy having these in your own garden.  Congratulations!

If you don't cross them, you'll won't have to plant them! Bah! Humbug!! Hot summer!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives