Re: CULT: nasty little pests

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT: nasty little pests
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:04:47 -0500

Robin  --  Those look like aphids to me.  The soapy water is usually an
effective means to deal with them.  Unfortunately, they'll often get down in
the fans and conceal themselves so that you think you're rid of them, but
you're not.   The best thing that I know to do is to dip the plant in a 20%
bleach solution for several minutes, making sure that the level of the fan
where the leaves join is submerged.  Then hang the plant roots-up until it
dries.  But since your plants are probably potted and growing,  probably the
next best thing is to keep watch daily and repeat the soapy water treatment
as necessary.  --  Griff