Re: HYB: Marking Pods

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Marking Pods
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:22:55 -0400

I've a notebook titled "Field 2008." I carry it with me throughout
bloom season.

Each cross is numbered and noted in the book. I record the position of
the blooms used in the cross.

When I make a second cross on the same stalk it is distinguished by the
cross # and also by the position of the bloom--

pt=primary terminal.
st=secondary terminal, etc.
3t=third terminal (rarely attempted)

Here is two different crosses on the same stalk. Both tags were on the

First, Cross # 12 was 2155-01 X 2142-01 after rain, pt. (05/14/)
Later, I made cross #47. 2155-01 x 1708-02. 1st branch, last bloom.

If a pod sets this type of notes tells me exactly what I have. Then
I put a check mark above the pod parent information and another to by
the position information.

My tags are put through the laundry and reused.

<<The only time that this gets complicated is if you want to pollinate
the same stalk with different blooms and parents. >>

Betty Wilkerson