Re: Marking Pods

  • Subject: Re: Marking Pods
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:20:48 -0700

Several hybidizer's out west use plastic tags which can be purchased at most nursery supply businesses. Waterproof markers, we prefer the marking pens from A.M. Leonard, Inc.,which we have obtained through Horticulture Supplies in Piqua, Ohio.  These markers last for quite a while and once used to ID pod and pollen parents, last a full year plus. When we plant the seed, we insert the ID tags in the soil and they are visible 2-3 years later.  All plump seeds are counted prior to planting. All crosses with viable seed are noted in our cross book. ( We stopped noting the attempted crosses which never took years ago.)  Although we usually review the cross tags that failed to set seed prior to throwing them out, we lost many an attempted cross this season due to the cool, wet weather.  We know several of these crosses would have set under better conditions.
We have a complete record of every successful cross we have made (seed actually germinated) since 1963.  We also chart the garden location of all our iris.
Years ago we used paper tags. We soon learned that slugs can destroy them.
So far, the plastic tags are fully reliable.
I hope this info will be helpful to some of you.