Re: tetraploid

From: Vicki Craig <craigiris@earthlink.net>

It's been a l-o-n-g day and you are probably in bed by now (it's 10:15
PDT.) Must be after midnight at your place.

In answer to your question concerning our IB's, Yes they are 48
chromosome tetraploids. We have not introduced any bearded iris in any
classification which is not 48c. Our SDB's, IB's, MTB's, BB,s and TB's
are all 48c. They will cross with anything that you can cross a TB with.

Terry Aitken and I had a discussion concerning the tet label on APRICOT
DROPS shortly after his catalog came out and you will notice that he no
longer refers to it as a tet in his catalog. APRICOT DROPS is a
delightful MTB and it grows so well for us. It has looked good where
ever I have seen it. We really like it. We have been working on getting
a good orange color in our smaller things.

It certainly is worth checking the background on the MTB's if you want
to work with 48's.

 KEIRITH (Jean Witt 1997) is out of SUSAN BLISS I. 1922, a diploid TB,
and species I. astrachanica classified as a miniature dwarf. Doesn't
sound like 48c to me.

MERIT (Fisher 1996) has several diploid MTB's in it's background such as
not appear to be 48c. However you must bear in mind the fact that SNOW
FLURRY was probably a doubling of two diploids which apparently was one
of those 'freaks of nature'. Who knows, this could happen again.

That's what keeps us hybridizers going!  The challenge to produce
something unique. Something distinctively different.

Start a new hobby. Meet a new friend.
ONElist:  The leading provider of free e-mail list services!