Re: HIST: HYB: CULT: source of freeze resistant evergreen?

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
> Nobody offered a suggestion when I asked before, so I'll try again.
> Some (a very few) of these TB's have green (apparently growing) foliage
> that doesn't seem to be injured much, if any, by these rollercoaster
> freezes with bouts of several nights down to 10oF.
> Any guesses as to where that comes from?  Is it thought to be from one
> species or the lucky combination of two or more?  Or am I asking another
> question that nobody onlist is willing/able to take a stab at?
> Linda Mann

I would Hope  most of mine are still showing green and always do every
year. I have a few  that  completely loose there leaves. I am farther north
than you. I thought  this was normal for TB"S . The longest and oldest
leaves show the most damage. Same thing with SDB's only they do better.
Less damage.

Right now the one bed I did not mulch with sand has frost heave. Some of
the rhizomes our almost on top of the ground and loose when you touch them.
The ones with the sand  mulch are nice and tight. Do not move at all even
when you try.  I put some sand on top of them.

Michael D Greenfield
Zone 5b SW Ohio