Re: Hardy Amorph paeoniifolius?

This topic has certainly gotten interesting. I would be surprised to find
that Amorph. paeoniifolius, even a single mutant clone, was hardy to USDA
zone 6 or so, but then I wouldn't be astounded. After all, I and many
others grow Sauromatum (*sigh* ... Typhonium ....) venosum, Dracunculus
vulgaris, and Amorph. konjac outdoors in zone 5/6 and have for years, and
none of those are considered at all hardy by most writers. As some of you
know, I suspect Synandrospadix of possible hardiness, too, and I consider
the hardiness of some of the more "tender" Asian Arisaemas not yet

Nancy, your description certainly sounds like A. paeoniifolius. What is
the farthest north/coldest area that anyone else knows of for
overwintering this outdoors reliably?

The ultimate test - as well as the most fun - would be if Nancy could get
some offsets distributed to others of us who live in similar climates and
see if this is a microclimate phenomenon or whether it is repeatable
elsewhere. I know I'd sure love to try this, and I imagine others would

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu