Re: Aroid Plantmen

  • Subject: Re: Aroid Plantmen
  • From: Hannon <othonna@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:45:43 -0700

Though he is already in this discussion (in fact he started it) I would add David Leedy as well as the late Richard Shelton to the list of catalytic aroiders. I met them both at about the same time, a few years after I joined the IAS. There were (and still are) few aroid collectors on the West Coast and it was energizing to know of their efforts in the Los Angeles area. Unfortunately I never made it to David's place before he moved to Texas. Here at the Huntington we still have plants that he had to leave behind. Dick had a small greenhouse in Fullerton and was keen on the chemistry of our favorite plants. I'll never forget the big Gymnostachys anceps he had obtained from Dennis Tsang (Australia), planted in his front yard.

Dylan Hannon

"The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add an useful plant to its culture…" --Thomas Jefferson