Re: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:43:26 -0500

Hi Michael,

In addition to the Syngonium and Epipremnum aureum already mentioned, a friend in Gainesville FL (8B) has grown Epipremnum pinnatum with similar results - being cut back but returning (growing back several feet up) every winter. I am going to get some established this spring in my yard (just southwest of Gainesville), and see if I have similar luck.

Since I always have plenty of Philodendron squamiferum, I plant some at the bases of trees in my yard every spring, yet none seem to ever return the following spring.

Syngoniums and Epipremnum aureum return best when as much of the base of the stem remains smothered by other evergreen foliage. I have even seen leaves remain through the winter in the lower portions of my plants, under heavy oak tree canopy, with dense impenetrable mounds of Bromelia pinguin and boston ferns growing around the tree trunks. They don't return as strongly after being burnt to the ground due to little protection.

Adam Black

RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com wrote:
I dont expect anyone to tell me there are any climbing Aroids that could live in my climate (USDA 7b-8a) which can drop to 10-15F each winter, but do any of the experts know which of the climbing aroids can be considered the hardiest?  I have heard Epipremnum aureum is growing as far north as Southern Georgia (USA) but probably not permanently.  Ive seen it personally growing quite tall up pine trees as far north as Jacksonville Florida.  Are there any other climbers (Rhaphidophora? Monstera?) that could take some winter cold with minimal damage?
Michael Mattlage

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list