Hermine, MJ, Sun and Amorph.galbra

> Well, at first i was horribly offended. I had to get into my bed and sob
> until i frightened the dogs. but then i remembered Joan Crawford and how
> STRONG she looked with her shoulder pads and lipstick, and I pulled myself
> together and decided that i could, after all, get on with my life.
> hermine

Dear Hermine,

Over the past I thought you were just another 'crazy Yank' or to be more
politically correct an 'odd american', but now I think you are a real
I love your sense of humour and if you ever come downunder you better
come to all
my parties too.
MJ, we are all very fond of you I'm sure, so if you want to offend us
you will have
to do better than that !

Speaking of 'odd americans'.....what about your weather ! How do you
stand all that snow and ice and freezing temperatures ? AAGGHH !! Mind
you the weather here is crap
too. The mercury spends most of its time in the mid to high 30's (deg.C)
and has even
decided to go over into the 40's a couple of times. A scorching wind is
howling too.
I wish I could windsurf then it would be ok. I try to keep cycling to
work but I turn
up looking like a beetroot and have to stand under the hose to cool off.

The up side of our heat is that my Amorphophallus plants are thriving.
The most exciting is a beautiful, elegant flower spike on my native
australian Amorph. galbra.
This is only it's second flower since it was a small tuber in 1989. It
has lovely
olive green and brown mottling all over it and a sweet, acidic, fruity
which reminds me of port-wine magnolia flowers.
I have some digital photos of it if anybody wants to put them on a
website somewhere.

cheers for now,
Rob McClure
Department of Biological Sciences