Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros potting

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros potting
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:43:02 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, James Waddick wrote:

> 	One time I had some extra smaller tubers and thought I'd try
> planting them in the garden in some high and dry spots. All failed -
> or so I thought. Two years ago I was astonished to find a couple
> small whispy  leaves growing next to a dry log in  the hottest driest
> part of the garden. They have returned since, but do not seem even
> vaguely large enough to flower. This year we have gone down to -5 F,
> so let's see what returns.
>
> 	The fact that they even persist in my climate - Zone 5/6 and
> have been subjected to temps of 0 F for extended periods should
> suggest that they be tried in Zone 6 (Steve Marek, have you tried
> them?).

Hi Jim,

No, I haven't, but I certainly will after reading that, especially since I'd
already planned to expand one of the fill sand beds this year.

I know I got a "starter" Helicodiceros from someone on the list - the records
are probably on that same hard drive I've been vainly trying to pull 12 year
old Aroid-L archives from - but I never actually thought about trying it
outdoors here, which is unlike me. On reading this thread, I realized I haven't
seen it in the greenhouse for quite a while either, so the tag hunt and
excavation is on ....

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com