Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros potting

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros potting
  • From: "Agoston Janos" <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:19:02 +0100

My opinon is, that Helicodiceros and other aroids must be planted with the bud upright. Once I planted (3 years ago) Arisaema speciosum - which you may know - has got a spindle like tuber horizontally instead of vertically. It started to rot, and it also started to produce small offsets. (Discarded...)

Helicodiceros and Dracunculus has got a flat tuber. They grow in nature with the bud upright, because it is good for them. So if they will not rot because of the wrong position of the bud maybe newly forming contractile roots will pull it back into the right position (That is the main aim of contractile roots, to pull the tuber in the right depht and position).

Jani, Z5a