Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros potting

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros potting
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:34:30 -0600

Dear all;
This strikes me as an odd topic. My tubers are all somewhat similar to tuberous Arum which have horizontal tubers (like A italicum) with a growing point on one end turned upright. It is not as if the growing tip is at the end and continuation of the tuber such as in some other tuberous aroids. I plant them horizontally with the growing point facing upwards.

I have had this species for a number of years and they seem to do better some years than others and the one time they bloomed- multiple flowers - the smell varied from hour to hour and person to person. At its worst it was pretty awful.

Of course in my climate, they are pot grown and winter in a cool frost free greenhouse.

One time I had some extra smaller tubers and thought I'd try planting them in the garden in some high and dry spots. All failed - or so I thought. Two years ago I was astonished to find a couple small whispy leaves growing next to a dry log in the hottest driest part of the garden. They have returned since, but do not seem even vaguely large enough to flower. This year we have gone down to -5 F, so let's see what returns.

The fact that they even persist in my climate - Zone 5/6 and have been subjected to temps of 0 F for extended periods should suggest that they be tried in Zone 6 (Steve Marek, have you tried them?).

This plant always seems hard to find in commerce, but I recommend Telos Rare Bulbs. (telosrarebulbs.com). The proprietor Diana Chapman should be contacted for availability at info@telosrarebulbs.com.

		Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.