Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" sritchey@shreve.net
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:17:46 -0600

Well, you're in the U.K. and I'm in Texas, but here, this would most likely be Xanthosoma violaceum- Supermarket chains send in crates of these and
Colocasias around Easter even though the local produce people have no idea what they are or what to do with them- I don't think anyone here ever eats them, but gardeners buy them for foundation plants and treat them like a summer "bulb"- They store better than potatoes in our climate, but I can't eat them without a heavy dose of slow-cooked garlic, olive oil, salt, and Java pepper :-) Bon apetit!!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil Gordon" <neil@ng23.abelgratis.co.uk>