Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:10:29 -0400

Steve:

	We grow lots of sauromatum from seed and had the most unusual thing last
year...3 dwarf seedlings that looked like crosses with helicodiscerous
(sp).  I planted one out thinking it would grow out of it, but instead it
looks more like a cross this year.  I won't know for sure until I see a
flower, but this is one strange plant.

At 10:50 PM 7/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks Tony and George for the information on the giant form(s). As usual, I
>get a few answers and suddenly I have more questions. But for another time.
>
>George, the seed on my plants is viable, but doesn't seem to germinate in the
>garden, or at least I've never found a plant that couldn't have plausibly
been
>an offset. The biggest problem I have with them is moving them. I've quit
>moving them, because when I do never get all the offsets and just wind up
with
>them in one more place. But I like the effect of the leaves, and of course
it
>is an aroid, so I mostly just leave them.
>
>Don't suppose anyone has a dwarf form, do they?
>
>Steve
>
>-- Steve Marak
>-- samarak@gizmoworks.com

Tony Avent