Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:33:02 -0400

I have noticed that too. There are numerous offsets, but on close
examination, some of the plantlets around a mother plant may originate from
seeds. As you know the infructescence of this taxon is very close to the
ground and the seeds can be scattered by larger insects or (as in my case)
by squirrels, chipmunks and birds. Some of the small plants I have dug up
were nowhere near a fruiting plant and were simply small seedlings. I used
to collect them, pot them and grow them on. Nowadays I have so many, I just
pull them like a weed (the tiny tuber is usually near the ground surface)
and discard them. Many I leave in place and let them grow into mature
plants, because they are hardy, undemanding, and attractive. Obviously,
mature plants to make numerous offsets and develop into colonies. See if you
can find a solitary seedling somewhere, which may indicate seed dispersion.
I have never seen a dwarf form of Typhonium venosum. They all develop into
30 in (76 cm) to 48 in (1.2 m) mature specimens.
W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North