Dr. Croat's review of the information provided on theinflorescene of Philodendron sagittifolium

  • Subject: Dr. Croat's review of the information provided on theinflorescene of Philodendron sagittifolium
  • From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:05:02 -0500

Let me clarify what I just wrote.  I saw the plant in the park one time prior to the hurricane on my one and only visit before Hurricane Andrew in 1992.  The next time I saw it the park was in total decay with almost every sign removed.  I recalled it but only from a single visit.  By the time I saw it the Philodendron again it had regrown but was nothing compared to the first time I saw it.

I really can't guarantee where it originated.  I saw the parent plant on a large tree at Orchid Jungle around 1997.  It was well into the top of the tree.  Once the park was destroyed my friend, who was the grounds keeper, took a cutting since he knew I collected plants.  I later went back with him to salvage anything I could from the park (with country permission) because it was all scheduled to be bulldozed.  By then very few of the original signs that had been posted by the owners were left due to people going in there to scavange the orchids which at one time numbered in the multiple thousands.  The park at one time was filled with plant species since it was quite large.  I don't recall exactly what I took but it was quite a few unidentified plants.  If that sign had been left there I'm sure it would have been posted as to where the plant originated since the owners often posted that information.  I'm told both owners were scientists and both were known to people at Fairchild.  I'll try to learn their names when I get back to Miami in September.
Tom has seen multiple photos of the plant and at least "appears" to be satisified it is the species.  Tom, if I'm incorrect on this please correct me.  He read my entire page yesterday and sent me a note saying "I can find no fault with your information".  So right now, that's all I really know.
The next spathe is not fully open yet but the edge is now well unfurled.  I'll check it with the camera again tonight.  Julius seems to feel the problem is simply the plant is aware it isn't in the natural environment.  That is obviously speculation as well.  I just am not smart enough to know.  I just keep trying to learn and do appreciate your and any other input.

Dear Steve,

I am not clear on the origin of your plant of Philodendron sagittifolium.  Is this the Central American clone or the Florida, house plant clone?  I ask this because hybrid Philodendron are often spare in their pollen production.  I am curious to see if you can photograph the pollen threads as they stream out of the male flowers at anthesis...you can see them emerging.  If you do not see this happening, perhaps it would be prudent to photograph a true species of Philodendron, with collection history, to document.  I hope that your plant does produce the copious pollen...but in case it does not, maybe this is the situation.  Good article and a good series of photographs.

Aroid-L mailing list