Re: Greenhouse Advice

In a message dated 3/22/99 6:52:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lkallus@earthlink.net writes:

<<Thanks for the advice, all.  I'm relieved to hear the humidity is OK.  No,
the fans are not yet set up.  There will be two ceiling fans.  I have
planned to have them blow upwards so that there's no direct draft on the
plants but rather just some gentle air motion.  I hope that's the right way.>>

Les,

If you will send me your snail mail address [or a telefax number if you have
one], I will send you some pages from a publication on installation of fans in
greenhouses for circulating air properly.  You don't mention what your vent
situation is -- ridge vent, window vents, etc.

You might want to look at www.charleysgreenhouse.com for wall vents, which I
use for intake at the bottom of the greenhouse -- we use a ridge vent at the
top for the hot air to escape.

Another consideration is shade cloth, which is also available from Charley.
Reducing the strength of the sunlight by 65% or more is not a bad idea.  Here,
the spring is our most difficult time in terms of temperature control, and on
a sunny day, the greenhouse can get up to 90 or 100 degrees F if we do not
watch it.  The deciduous trees that shade the greenhouse during the summer,
being bare, let lots more light in in spring and fall.  [My Night-blooming
Cereus is sunburned!]

Jeanne Hannah
Traverse City MI
USDA Zone 5b