[Aroid-l] Amorph and Arisaema dormancy questions

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorph and Arisaema dormancy questions
  • From: Adam Black epiphyte1@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:16:37 -0500

With all the recent questions regarding treatment of tubers over the course of dormancy/winter, I figured I would join in.

First, my Amorph. gigas that I purchased this year is going dormant and I would like to know if this is one of the species that should be kept in the pot with barely damp soil or if it can be stored "dry". I prefer to remove the tubers of my other species from the soil, but thought I read/heard some time ago that A. gigas tubers are intolerant of this storage method.

My Amorph. pygmaeus that I purchased in fall '04 as a dormant tuber never emerged from dormancy all year. After purchasing it, I kept it unpotted (stored dry) until late spring when my other Amorphophallus species tend to come out of dormancy. By mid-summer, I hadn't noticed anything happening, and from that time on I kept digging down and checking for any progress. The tuber always appeared fine, just no root development or any other sign it was going to break dormancy. It still appears fine, and I am wondering if I should keep it warm potted up and continue water it moderately to see if it will decide to come out of dormancy over the next several months, or if I should dig it up and store it dry with my other species and try again next year. It was kept side by side in identical conditions with my other species of potted Amorphophallus which all performed normally. Any thoughts?

My third question is similar to the last one, but involving Arisaema speciosum. I also purchased this as a large blooming size tuber last fall, planted it in the ground outdoors, and it also never emerged from dormancy. I did notice when I dug down to check on it in early summer that it did grow roots, which remained until the time I dug it up to bring it for winter storage a few weeks ago. The central conical growing point did grow very slightly (maybe 1/2 inch) early on, then just stayed that way the rest of the summer. The other species of Arisaema obtained at the same time and planted nearby in identical conditons all came out of dormancy and did fine this year.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Black

Aroid-l mailing list