Re: [Aroid-l] A. prainii care instructions

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A. prainii care instructions
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" mmarcotr@email.smith.edu
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:36:55 -0500

We have huge ones here at Smith College in Northampton, about an hour away from you at our Botanic Garden. They are in the conservatory. Feel free to visit.

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College, Lyman Conservatory, College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~ Kahlil Gibran
>>> kwmartin@earthlink.net 11/10/05 6:45 PM >>>

I'm just trying to find some basic care instructions for growing
Amorphophallus prainii.  The plant is approximately 10" tall now and
appears to be actively growing (was given plant in early October this year).

I'm growing the plant in a 50 % loam and the remainder in 1:1:1 peat, perlite, vermiculite under
a 4' fluorescent light.

Since I live in Fitchburg Massachusetts,  Can I expect a dormancy and if so any idea when it would start?
Just trying to get a sense how finicky this plant is and how susceptible to rot.

Anyone have a fact sheet?  All I know is it's habitat is near Thailand/ Indonesia and not much more.

Any help is appreciated,

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Mass.
Aroid-l mailing list