Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph and Arisaema dormancy questions

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph and Arisaema dormancy questions
  • From: plantguy@zoominternet.net
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:18:50 -0500

Hi Adam,

I would concur with the others that the Indonesian species should be kept just damp until the break dormancy again. As Alan said, sometimes Amorph tubers just refuse to grow. I can honestly say that almost all of mine have annoyed me with this behaviour over the years. I find this to be particularly true of newly imported species from places like Thailand. For whatever reason, after coming to my happy home away from home they sit there stubbornly for an entire year before growing. Sort of reminds me of a sulking child!!

I must say that I grow very large numbers of Arisaema speciosum and have not had this difficulty unless the growing point has been broken before I received it. If this species has a nice solid growth point in the fall then I have never had one not grow the following spring, although others may have a different experience. It sounds like the tuber is fine and so I would imagine next year it will produce a wonderful influorescence. I can also say that I store this species completely dry in peat and/or potting mix.

Hopefully they will do well for you next spring.

Dan Devor
zone 6a
Gibsonia, PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Black" <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>