Pinellia tripartita - is it a weed?

I recently purchased a plant of Pinellia tripartita, a charming
little aroid from Asia.  However, on looking it up in Deni Bown's
book, I read that another species, P. ternata, "can spread rapidly
and verge on becoming a weed".

Before I let Pinellia tripartita loose in our garden I thought I should ask
whether anyone living in a mild-temperate climate (mild winters with little
frost, coolish summers) - perhaps the Pacific Northwest, has any
experience of this species.  When I contemplate the weed species that
we already have in our garden (jasmine, ivy, Oxalis, ferns,
Alstroemeria, Tradescantia etc. etc.) I am reluctant to unleash
another one.

Nick Miller
Rotorua, New Zealand