Re: Hardy Aroids

Steve:  We have Orontium in cultivation in our temperate house.  I tried
bringing some of it back from Massachusetts once and put it in a small
pond we have behing the Climatron but it did not survive despite having
had a nice big peice of it.
> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, James W. Waddick wrote:
> > 	This string has turned from Dracunculus to Hardy aroids and I am
> > surprised that no one has mentioned Calla palustris. This gets to
> > considerable size, has impressive flowers and fruits and should be hardy
> > fairly far north - Zone 4, 3?.
> Jim, I've tried to get Calla palustris several times unsuccessfully -
> seeds from an exchange never germinated for me, and plant sources haven't
> worked out. Is anyone growing this?
> > 	Then there's Orontium, Peltandra, and  Typhonium,
> > Zantedeschia..although the latter two may only have 1 or two species hardy
> > through Zone 6. I'll bet theres other beside the  ones we've already talked
> > about Dracunculus, Arum (various species - I have italicum,maculatum,
> > orientale and nigrum in Zone 5/6 -  others ? I lost dioscorides )
> > Symplocarpus, Lysichiton, Arisarum etc. (not to mention Arisaema - that's
> > another robin)
> > 	How far north does anyone grow Helicodiceros ?
> >
> > 	These are just a start, let's get complete here:
> I have several clones of Peltandra establishing, limited data so far but
> it seems quite hardy and I've been told it will do well in zone 4. All of
> my Zantedeschias except the recently-acquired "Hercules" are outdoors and
> all but one of those (Z. pentlandii) have been for several years.
> Re Typhonium, there was a deafening silence a few weeks ago when I asked
> some questions so I will risk repeating them here:
> >While on hardy Typhoniums - Deni Bown, in the 3 paragraphs devoted to
> >Typhonium in "Aroids", mentions 2 other species as "hardy": T.
> >diversifolium and T. alpinum. "It (T. diversifolium) is found in the
> >Himalayas between 2500 m and 4300 m and so, like Arisaema flavum, is a
> >near-alpine. The ability to grow at high altitudes is also seen in T.
> >alpinum which is recorded as reaching 4000 m in China."
> >Can anyone comment on how hardy these species truly are? 4000+ meters is
> >high enough that (anywhere much short of the equator) it implies some
> >good frosts.
> Orontium should be hardy, but I don't have it and don't recall anyone else
> talking about it. Why is it so unpopular?
> Steve
> -- Steve Marak
> --

Thomas B. Croat, Ph.D.
P.A. Schulz Curator of Botany
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299
phone: 314-577-5163; fax 314-577-9596; email