Re: Hardy Aroids - -Calla palustris

Jim & Steve:  I will see what the situation is on fruits of Calla
palustris.  While I have seen Peltandra in this pool I had not seen the
Calla.  It is surely the same pool into which I planted the Orontium!
Perhaps Petra will know.  She wanders around on the grounds more than I.
> >> Jim, I've tried to get Calla palustris several times unsuccessfully -
> >> seeds from an exchange never germinated for me, and plant sources haven't
> >> worked out. Is anyone growing this?
> >> -- Steve Marak
> >> --
> Dear Steve;
> 	I hate to put Tom Croat on the spot, but behind the Climatron is a
> pond loaded with Calla palustris and I have liberated a few seeds in my
> time. Maybe he could send out his henchmen and transport some down your
> way. I belive now is the time.
> 	Best		Jim
> ps Don;
> 	In this pond it grows around the edges with its 'toes' in the water
> and 'ankles' just above. I've grown it in a metal wash tub which fills up
> with rain or hosing and slowly drains/ evaporates away. I guess this would
> be called a bog and it can certainly take some serious flooding, but
> probably doesn't want to take much drought.
> 	I grow Symplocarpus in a 2 gal pot standing in a tray of water
> (summer and winter) and I bet Calla would do likewise.
> James W. Waddick          		Voice: 816 746 1949
> 8871 NW Brostrom Rd                  	E-MAIL:
> Kansas City MO 64152 		Fax: 816 746 1939
> Zone 5/6 -
> Winter low  -10=B0F
> Summer high +100=B0F

Thomas B. Croat, Ph.D.
P.A. Schulz Curator of Botany
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299
phone: 314-577-5163; fax 314-577-9596; email