Re: A. konjac

The first few years I grew A. konjac, I didn't know it was hardy, so I
kept it indoors over the winter. It was stuffed in a box and kept in a
cool corner, but didn't receive any chilling.

Amorphophallus for me have always chosen for themselves when to go dormant
and when to break dormancy regardless of what I do, and konjac is no
exception. It would inevitably break dormancy well before our last frost
date, usually choosing spring break with uncanny accuracy to flower (my
wife, a teacher, is home over spring break; one year I came home to find
towels stuffed in the guest room door in an attempt to keep the stench
confined). But they did flower and grow just fine without any cold.

In fact, they flowered more reliably than they do now, outdoors. Now, I
get anywhere from none to several inflorescences in a given year. (Two
this year, and seeds have set, but until I protected it, something was
eating them.)

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu