[aroid-l] ZZ Plant

  • Subject: [aroid-l] ZZ Plant
  • From: "Plantsman" plantsman@prodigy.net
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:51:18 -0400

I bought this unusual looking succulent-like plant on a lark
while visiting my area Home Depot several months ago.  I'd never
run across anything like this before and not knowing anything
about it, brought it home and thus far and have managed not to
kill it.   It was unidentified outside of a "Tropical Foliage"
tag on the 8" pot and was $7.99.   Last week at our new Super
Wal-Mart, I was surprised to see it again and noted that they
were tagged as a "ZZ Plant".  After doing a little research with
that name, I was surprised to find that it was the aroid,
Zamioculcas zamiifolia.  It had to be the most un-aroid looking
plant I've seen yet!

Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully grow this
outside of not watering it too much?  I've had it outside since
June, where it gets about three to fours hours of direct midday
sun.  Do these ever bloom?  What is the inflorescence like?
Thanks!

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)
plantsman@prodigy.net