[aroid-l] Giant Amorphs - what a shame.

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Giant Amorphs - what a shame.
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:23:35 -0400

Since we have been discussing the giant amorphs.. I am curious as to why some
of the giants seem to stay very "thin" until they are "VERY" big.

For example, plants like paeonifolius are strong and stocky even when they are
small.  My largest are huge with a base diameter of something crazy like 10-12
inches.  They withstand the elements with no problem, be it thrashing wind,
rain etc..

Now my largest hewitii has finally come up (fabulous, just in time for the
temps to drop).  I measured it this past weekend at 6.5 feet tall...it looks
like a tree, although it is probably 3-4 inches in diameter at the base.  It
is in a protected position on my patio so it has a "chance" of survival,
although if I put it out with the other amorphs I am sure one good wind gust
would destroy it... as did my 5 foot lambii which was demolished by a 10
minute rainstorm.

It is for this reason that I am considering scaling my Amorph collection down
dramatically when all go dormant... I guess anyone interested should keep
their eyes open for my announcement.

Marc