RE: Repeat on Lasiomorpha

----------
From: 	aroid-l@mobot.org on behalf of eduardo gomes goncalves
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 6:30 PM
To: 	ju-bo@msn.com
Subject: 	Re: Repeat on Lasiomorpha

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Julius Boos wrote:

> (...)   What I`m rambling on about is that in at least some of the
> Lasiinae the smaller,"weaker"(?) plants will put out an infloresence, but it

> seems that the sole function of this smaller-than-usual bloom is to
contribute
> it`s genes into the pool soley as pollen, and that it does not or is
incapable
> of probucing seed.  I`ve observed this in Dracontium, Anaphyllopsis,
> Urospatha, and am presently waiting to see what happens with my Lasiomorpha.

> It would seem (to me at least!) a perfectly "sensible" strategy for a
> plant,either too small (weak) to as yet support the long period of seed
> development, OR weakened by circumstances, and perhaps soon to die, to
> contribute as quickly as possible it`s genes into the gene pool as pollen!
> What do all of you "lurkers" out there think?
> Cheers,
> ju-bo@msn.com

>>Julius,

     I have seen the same phenomenon with my Anthuriums here. Young
plants use to fail to produce seeds. It is a sharp strategy, because
pollen is quite cheap energetically. There is a high energy cost
associated with fruit, seed coat, endosperm development, etc. Older
plants are usually better stablished and have energy enough to waste in
seed production. I do think that this strategy is quite common in the
Araceae. In fact, some genera (like Arisaema) seem take it too seriously...

Best wishes,

Eduardo.<<

Dera Eduardo,
Thanks for you comments.  Hopefully someone will publish something on this one
of these days!?
Cheers,
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com