second harvest garden & irrigation

  • Subject: [cg] second harvest garden & irrigation
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:35:12 -0500

Connie Nelson,
No matter how you decide to irrigate, please try to use light weight hose or
pipe material.  I became disabled two years ago and found that even one
length of the regular garden hose was too much to drag or lift.  We replaced
it with the kind of hose that leaks water and is light weight.  It is easier
but I still tire just laying a length out to the side of the house.  One
gallon of water in a small bucket is really heavy for a disabled person.  I
remember when I was younger and had to pull several lengths to a garden in a
field.  Just remember how tired your volunteers will become and expend the
extra money for light weight equipment so that no one drops out due to
exhaustion.

Best of luck,
helen steely
Hbg., Pa.