Fast Food Nation vs Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Fast Food Nation vs Community Gardens
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:45:49 -0500

In reference to the discussion on obesity, we are a nation too dependent on
the convenience of fast food.  When it comes to eating those "organic"
vegetables from the garden or fast food, many chose the latter.

For example...  a gentleman dropped by our community garden this past summer
to inquire on our operation.  He said he used to volunteer in a CG in
Florida.  Their CG delivered a portion of their harvest to a shelter once a
week but discontinued their donation when a local pizza business started
dropping off pizzas.  He said that ther produce was virtually untouched and
eventually spoiled. The pizza was gone in a matter of minutes.

For those with some time on their hands during the upcoming winter months,
you may want to read "Fast Food Nation" or view "Super Size Me".

Even the most active contributor to this listserv has mentioned on several
occasions conducting those "pizza and beer" garden meetings or maybe those
"hotdogs / hamburgers and beer" garden parties.

Oh yeah, I'm just as guilty as the next guy (or gal).

Jim in Alabama