Re: Destruction of hopsta-open?

Hi Patty, Jim Hawes has only sounded the alarm in a clear and concise
way. I fully appreciate your need for "general" discussions on hostas,
free from all the political stuff, but without people like Jim I'm
afraid there may not be a functional hosta society very long. From time
to time, good, brave men must rise up against tyranny and wrong doing.
This is what Jim has had the courage to do. Jim is not hungry for power.
He has never sold a plant of any kind in his life, though he has given
away countless numbers. Jim's post was a wake up call for hosta lovers
like you and I, who love the plants. It was an alarm that people who
"love" the plants only for capital gain, or power are out to totally
exclude the little people like you and I. If you wanted to, and it's
certainly ok if you don't, you could learn so much from Jim. He would
willingly and cheerfully help you on any subject. This is far more than
most of  the powers that be are willing to do. I know this from personal
experience. You simply wouldn't believe what some of the truly gentle
people who are hybridizing and growing hostas have had to say withing
the last week or two about the power struggle within the AHS. But again,
even this post is political in nature I guess, and I feel badly about
that. It's just that any robin that would exclude Jim Hawes would be
depriving it's members of so much information about hostas. I just can't
imagine it.  Good luck,

John Lanier
Burnsville, NC