Re: Pay Pal - explained

bob wrote:
RE:>> I think it would be better to have a bad check or two along the way than to
impede everyone with
escrow accounts and paypal.

Hi Bob,
I didn't raise the question of bad checks; Pat did that in a previous post,
possibly privately.  To not minimize this very real business risk is IMO a
mistake.  It can be done so easily.  Yes, most Hosta buyer's are wonderfully
reliable yet the reason I like paypal is because it is instanteous and you have no
question as to whether it is "good money".  Waiting for the buyer to send you a
check, however, creates uncertainty.  And for those who chose not to avail
themselves of this medium, then they are chosing a different rate of business
growth.  That is all I am saying.

The advantage of paypal vs. checks or credit cards speaks for itself.  I'm just
sharing what techniques "I" feel are the best.  Whether someone else wants to be
on a track to grow their business as rapidly as I do is up to them.  Today's
high-tech, fast-growth businesses are about offering world class services as a
means of providing exemplary customer service.   IMHO, it doesn't get any better
than paypal.com and I believe this is substantiated by their 4,000,000 members in
1-1/2 years.   It's good for the customer and that's why I use it.

Once you're a member, financial transactions on the net just don't get any
simplier.   We all like simple yet I also happen to prefer "best practices".  My
brain tells me that Paypal.com is THE BEST in the industry and that their service
is extremely simple when you weigh the benefits.  Some have trouble getting signed
up and I don't understand why.  The process is a little elaborate, but it is
certainly doable.

As for using an escrow agent, these services are not known by many and they also
address a unique business problem very efficiently.  Not using them is a business
owner's personal decision but not knowing that they even exist if/when you need
such may cause people grief which could have easily been avoided.   We both know
why you added this info to the Hosta Library auction page--it could save people
some financial losses and several people raised this concern last year.  Escrow
services eliminate that risk, if the buyer has any concerns.

Once a company has done enough business on the net that a few deals have gone
south, the merit of such services becomes more evident.  I am simply trying to
save Pat some potential grief that you obviously feel is not of concern.   Thank
God that the human genome is indeed one complex set of molecules.

Isn't it Josh Spece that says, "There are two ways of doing things; the easy way
and those who chose this method have their reward"?   You don't need to agree with
me--this is not a test about facts and neither of us will be graded.  8<))

Andrew Lietzow, MBA
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com