Re: Pay Pal - explained

I don't know much about Pay Pal, but it looked to me like a buyer could use their
credit card with it, so I don't see anything wrong with it.  Frankly, until this
discussion I had never heard of it.  None of our customers have ever inquired about
it. My only problem with it is that I would not sign up for a service I had no other
use for just so I could buy from a particular vendor unless it was the only place I
could get what I wanted.  But that's just me and I don't have any problems with using
a credit card on the net. Since virtually all sellers take credit cards and virtually
all buyers have them, except for those who are afraid to use them over the web, I
can't see any reason for us to use it.  We do have customers that don't like to use
credit cards, but they always have the option of sending a check.

Personally, we don't find bad checks a problem here.  Occasionally checks bounce, but
it's almost always a mistake and is always made good.  I don't think too many people
pass bad checks for plants.  In 25 years, I don't think we've lost $100 to bad
checks.  It happens so infrequently that we don't wait for checks to clear and at our
retail, we don't bother to ask for ID.  (Hope that doesn't give anyone any ideas.)  It
could be that with all the fraud that goes on over the net that bad checks could
become more of a problem, but so far we haven't had one in the three years our two
sites have been up.

I do have to question the statement that the advantages of Pay Pal over checks and
credits cards is obvious, and the implication that your business will grow faster if
you use Pay Pal.  4 million members is a lot, but when you balance that against all
the people who can't buy from you unless they sign up for Pay Pal, I would have a
problem offering that as the only option.