Re: 2004 Hosta registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2004 Hosta registrations
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:17:40 -0400

Hi Chick,
     I don't know where the discussions will go when the AHS finally gets
around to this issue, but as a guess, I would think they will try to get
more into line with the other plant societies. There is definitely a
sentiment that more plants should be registered more quickly, so the
discussion will probably focus on how we can get to that point. This late in
the game with so many different interpretations out there now as strongly
held beliefs, I don't think there will be a solution that everyone agrees
with. Hopefully there can be one that everybody accepts, though.
     There are obvious problems with the system that need to be fixed in
some way, because it isn't working now. There are other issues which haven't
been brought up here yet that also need a look. For example, I think the
code does not allow plants to be registered if their uniqueness is the
result of disease symptoms, yet we have seen several virus-infected plants
like 'Breakdance' named and accepted for registration. Other times plants
that are already registered like 'Fragrant Bouquet' get registered again
with a new name because someone made a mistake. Sometimes it seems that the
Registrar is so happy to get any registrations that anything will be
accepted, which creates problems with how we see the database.
      Whether you should have final say (even posthumous?) in which of your
plants get registered and which do not is one of the central problems - what
is registration supposed to be? If the registration database is merely a
record for posterity like the unofficial databases, they should all be added
to it. If that is what it is, and I don't know myself what it is supposed to
be, then it would be like you deciding which of your kids should get
included in the census. On the other hand, if it is supposed to be a record
of which plants the introducers thought were good enough and their say is
final, then you are perfectly right in deciding which to register and which
should never be registered. We need to work out these root issues before we
can go anywhere with fixing the system. Whether it even needs to be fixed
depends on what it is supposed to be, so I guess we need to start with that.
      Bobby, what is the daylily registry supposed to be? Is it intended to
be a record of all daylilies that were named and put out by an introducer,
or is it a voluntary registry of only the plants the introducers want
registered for whatever reason?
                                  .......Bill Meyer