Re: 2004 Hosta registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2004 Hosta registrations
  • From: "Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC" irismoose@daylily.net
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:18:21 -0400

Bill, you bring up some really great points and commenting on the different and/or opposing concepts or factions is the best approach. I feel this is one debate that will never win total support in either direction but 100% support in anything is usually just a dream.

As the ICRA it is not up to the Hosta Society to determine the worthiness of the plant for registration. Maintaining an accurate record of the cultivar's characteristics and ensuring the international standards of plant registration are followed is the function of the ICRA. However, there is nothing wrong with AHosS "recommending" certain standards (I would hate to be part of the team coming up with that statement).

Of course, one does not have to be a member of the AHosS to register a new hosta. As hostas continue to grow in popularity, the number of backyard hybridizers will increase, too. Depending on one's position this can be seen as a blessing or tragedy.

This morning I commented in several off-list messages that I am very glad for the diversity of hosta growing and am glad other people garden in their own chosen fashion. It sure would be boring if we all did things the same way and shared the same opinion. If we were of the same opinion then this conversation would never take place, these forums probably would not exist, and not as many people would be enjoying hostas. The plants are nice, but the people make the adventure special.

On that thought... I sure have been enjoying the newest Hosta Journal and reflections of the past.

Bobby
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>