Re: SPECIES: why here? germanica

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SPECIES: why here? germanica
  • From: Patricia Wenham <h.schinkep@verizon.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:03:34 -0800

Perhaps we might want the lists combined?  There seems little difference between the photo list and a combined list.  I belong to both and just use the delete button when I want to skip the discussion but often people forget to change the subject line so I probably miss things but sometimes time is a factor that takes precedence.   Just a thought.  I will send this to both lists.  I think John is the person to make the final decision and I know he will make a fair and well thought out one.  He always has in the past.
Patti

donald@eastland.net wrote:
Neil,

Your
suggestion of cross-posting (which I'm doing here )

offers an out.  But to

keep Iris-photos on track as "iris photos" these kinds

of discussions need to

be shifted entirely over to Iris-talk, not just cross

posted.

The problem is that some contributors to the discussion
are not members of iris-talk.  They are members of iris-
photos.  I was surprised they could even cross post unless
they were members.  I thought iris-photos would reject
emails from non-member addresses.  At least Bob Pries has
explained why he is not a member of iris-talk and unless
he has changed his mind and subscribed, then I don't think
he can post directly and solely to iris-talk on any
thread.

So the result would be the thread would not have input
from non-members (unless non-members can indeed cross post
as members of the other list).  The thread as it ran on
iris-photos would likely have been substantially different
without some of the postings that comprised the thread.
If such a thread were soley initiated on iris-talk, those
non-members would never be aware of it and would not be
participants.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA