Re: Happy Holidays to All/now old country lanquages

Dan,

I wish we hadn't moved away when I was 9.  I was just starting to learn some
of it, too. I made the mistake once of replying to my aunt in Polish, and
you could have heard a pin drop.  I was given a cookie and told to go
outside and play. When I came back inside, they were spelling in Polish,
though my mother, who was much younger than her sisters and hadn't grown up
in the old neighborhood, didn't spell it very well and found it frustrating.

I learned a bit of Dutch that way, too. I was able to put together enough
Dutch to get by in Holland some years ago, though I had to spend several
weeks with audiocassettes to do so. I had an uncle that served in the same
capacity as your mother, as neighborhood translator for Dutch and German.

Was your family able to keep track of their relatives in Poland after WWII?
If I recall, my aunts lost track of their cousins sometime in the early
50's.

Daryl