Re: Pay Pal - There are no answers, there are only questions.

chick wrote:
RE:>> I may be wrong, but I doubt it.  Secondly, as the world is now, you have in your
wallet everything you need to buy plants from me, but if I want to buy something from you, I
have to sign up for a service I have no real need for.

1) Not true.  I take everything (except American Express) INCLUDING Paypal and the easiest thing
I take is Paypal.
I just have to process credit cards manually and I don't like to do anything manually, if I can
avoid it.  I have, however,
told my Internet customers that if they are not a paypal.com customer, please join so that we
can do business easily.  Truth be known, I still take credit cards, yet I do so reluctantly.

RE:>>I doubt that I have ever lost a sale because we don't accept Pay Pal.
2) Probably not.  I take care of all of those customers for you so they won't be bothering you!
See what a nice guy I really am?    We've had fun with this one and now I'll let you have the
last word.

I'm starting to have a discussion about the merits of tetraploid Hosta and busy trying to
understand just a smidgeon about the genome of Arabipdopsis Thaliana (115Million base pairs and
I don't hardly know what a base pair is!).  I'm going to let this discussion about this
Paypal.com thing die because I don't have enough brain power to spare while attempting to
respond to Jim Hawes legitimate question, "Why would tetraploids better?".  I just know he will
only be content with a well thought out answer and I will need to do my homework.  When it comes
to Hosta science, I've only recently understood the Hosta Color wheel and have a long way to go
in understanding Flow Cytometry and polyploidy.   So, I can't take any more time to promote
Paypal.com for them because I don't make a nickle off of the service nor do I have any of their
stock.  Bummer!

Chick, your operation is one of the ones I want to emulate, so if you see me on the premises
taking pictures, you'll
know that I respect your business and horticultural skills.  In fact, I don't even need to come
onto the premises--I
can just look at your web site and know that you run a 1st class operation.  (this is not
buttering you up because I am simply stating a fact as most everyone will agree).

As for the bar codes, I want to implement a system that allows an order picker to pull the
plants by (bin) location from a hand held
computer unit complete with scanner (an Intermec 9045 unit) and then the picker doesn't have to
know ANYTHING about the plant.   I used to implement these types of systems in wholesale
distribution companies (For OTHER businesses, not my own) and it enables a worker to perform a
task 100% accurately without knowing what the product really is.  IF the product is labeled
correctly just one time (plant knowledge required for this task) and the label stays put with
the plant, it will be impossible to ship the wrong product.  Whether I will ever get to that
point or not, I can't tell you.  However, I can tell you that WITHOUT the bar coded label, for
sure it will never happen.  It all starts with the label...

So for now, I'll pursue the paypal.com customers first and all the OTHER ones, second.   You get
all the other ones first but just refuse those that prefer Paypal.com and send them to me.
Deal?   I don't know what we'll do about the 10,000+ other Hosta resellers--I suppose neither
one of us will have time to worry about what forms of payment they are accepting.  8<))

It's possible that you have convinced me to implement the Echo Online thing--I didn't want to
but you've raised some valid points.  Some people actually WANT to key in all that imformation
for every single order they place online.  Why, I cannot tell you...

See you at convention!

Andrew Lietzow